Race for President: CheckMate
Race for the President is on. All the parties want to find a president who will best suit their needs. Just like in game of chess they want a king (President) without any power who would not even try to voice his or her opinion. Just like game of chess each and every move is well thought of and to give a check to opponents. The only difference between this game and game of chess is that there are more than two players and that makes the game even more interesting.
Let's examine the moves till now.
All parties including NDA, UPA and left want their candidate to be President. None of them really are happy with the current President. The reason for not liking him is simple, he has brain of his own. He would not agree to be a Puppet.
- NDA's first move is to tell current president that they cannot support him.
- UPA, Left and BSP are fighting to arrive at a agreement.
- Mr Vice President who is from BJP declares himself as a independent candidate. By declaring himself to be independent he is trying to gain support from other parties who would not otherwise support BJP candidate so that they don't loose their vote banks.
- NDA officially declares supports Mr Vice President.
- UPA and allies are still fighting to reach agreement. Several names were rejected one after the other.
- NDA asked Congress to support Mr Vice President as expected, which is rejected as expected.
- UPA finally agrees on surprise name Mrs. Pratibha Patil Shekawat. The move is politically brilliant and NDA has got a check. UPA is playing woman card. They are also trying to divide NDA and Mrs. Patil is from the same state as Mr Vice President. More over she even shares the last name with him. On another front as she is originally(before marriage) from Maharashtra which divides Shiv sena.
- Third front which was nonexistent till now pulls out a stunning move. They decide Mr. President would be their candidate. This was another check in game of chess but for whom. In Hindi we call it Ek teer do shikaar. How? Very simple. First it would take out any air left in Mr Vice Presidents campaign. Second, If now NDA realizes that it was fruitless to support Mr Vice President they would support Mr President making life for UPA and Allies difficult. But, they forgot one thing, Mr. President has to agree.
- Mr. Vice President quickly pointed another mistake out by saying he would not contest if everyone agrees on Mr President. He know there would be no agreement and thus Mr President would not even contest if there is slightest chance of loosing
Let the game of chess continue.