How are hurricanes named?
- Tropical storms in North Atlantic are named in such a manner that masculine and feminine names alternate one after the other.
- And yes they are in alphabetic order, so my guess was right.
- The logical conclusion here is that there can be max 26 names. No, There are can only be 21. As they don't name storms by Q, U, X, Y, Z.
- So the next logical question is what happens if you have more storms then 21. Then they start naming them by name Greek alphabets starting with alpha beta.
- 2005 would be the first year to use these letters. So 2005 is the with record number of storms.
- Oh, did I tell you the names for all storms till 2010 have been named.
- And most storms after that have also been named as they will use the names used in 2005 in 2011 and 2006's name in 2012.. and so on.
- Are you bored that you will not see a new name. Don't be disappointed. You will see new names as names of most devastating are removed from the list and a new name would be chosen to replace it. They have already dropped Katrina from the list.
- Oh one last things before 1979 all hurricanes were females.
Now finally let me give you names of all the hurricanes till 2010
2005: Arlene Bret Cindy Dennis Emily Franklin Gert Harvey Irene Jose Katrina Lee Maria Nate Ophelia Philippe Rita Stan Tammy Vince Wilma
2006: Alberto Beryl Chris Debby Ernesto Florence Gordon Helene Isaac Joyce Kirk Leslie Michael Nadine Oscar Patty Rafael Sandy Tony Valerie William
2007: Andrea Barry Chantal Dean Erin Felix Gabrielle Humberto Ingrid Jerry Karen Lorenzo Melissa Noel Olga Pablo Rebekah Sebastien Tanya Van Wendy
2008: Arthur Bertha Cristobal Dolly Edouard Fay Gustav Hanna Ike Josephine Kyle Laura Marco Nana Omar Paloma Rene Sally Teddy Vicky Wilfred
2009: Ana Bill Claudette Danny Erika Fred Grace HenriIda Joaquin Kate Larry Mindy Nicholas Odette Peter Rose Sam Teresa Victor Wanda
2010: Alex Bonnie Colin Danielle Earl Fiona Gaston Hermine Igor Julia Karl Lisa Matthew Nicole Otto Paula Richard Shary Tomas Virginie Walter